The University of the Incarnate Word Rosenberg School of Optometry was founded in 2008.
Our focus and mission challenges us to teach, train and graduate a new generation of clinically expert, culturally competent and actively caring optometrists and patient advocates. We educate and treat communities across Texas and beyond, with a special emphasis on underserved populations.
We are accredited by the Accreditation Council on Optometric Education (ACOE) of the American Optometric Association.
Rosenberg School of Optometry
- Founded 2008
- Alumni: 365
- Average First-Year Student Age: 25
- 70 % female/30% male
- Residency Placement: 30% of graduates are placed into residencies
UIW Clinical Network
- UIW Eye Institute
- UIW Bowden Eye Care and Health Center
- Community Eye Clinic/Fort Worth
- Sports and Vision Enhancement Clinic
National Board of Examiners in Optometry Pass Rates (Graduation)
- Part I (ABS) 82%
- Part II (PAM) 92%
- Part III (CSE) 97%
Optometry Honors• 2018 Winner Texas Optometry Association Conference (TOA) EyeBowl.
• 2018 First Place in Walmart/Sam’s Club Project Foresight Competition ($15,000 team scholarship).
• Jeff C. Rabin, Faculty, named Texas Optometric Association Educator of the Year.
• Dr. William L. Miller, Faculty, named Texas Optometric Association Educator of the Year.
• Six faculty members from the Rosenberg School of Optometry received Johnson & Johnson Innovation in Education Grants.
• Stephanie Schmiedecke Barbieri, OD, FAAO, awarded Diplomate status in the Low Vision Section of the AAO.
Master of Science in Vision Science
- 16-month program
- 13 hours core fall/spring semester
- 4 hours research and thesis summer semester
- 4 hours research and thesis fall semester
- 34 total credits hours
- Publication ready thesis
Doctor of Philosophy in Vision Science
- 33-month program
- 26 hours core
- Written qualifying exam
- 30 hours dissertation research and writing
- 60 total credits hours
- Dissertation/three peer-reviewed journal submissions
Doctor of Optometry
The four-year Doctor of Optometry curriculum features didactic and clinical laboratory instruction that begins in the first year and continues through the duration of the program.
44.5 credit hours
45 credit hours (clinical internships = 3 credits)
57 credit hours (third-year rotations = 12 credits)
60 credit hours (fourth-year externship = 60 credits)
Did you know
South Texas is the largest geographic region in Texas and contains 19% of the total Texas population.
Did you know
Twenty-one of the 38 South Texas counties