Mission Trips and Community Outreach
One of the extraordinary aspects of the UIW Rosenberg School of Optometry is the program-wide commitment to serving populations in need. This dedication is displayed by the students, faculty, and staff that live the mission of the program and the university. Please take a minute to meet some of the people we have helped with the gift of sight and see who we will serve in the future.
Upcoming Mission Trips
- December 2019 - Texas Rio Grande Valley
- January 2020 - Yucatan, Mexico
- February 2020 - Chichicastenango, Guatemala
- May 2020 - Chichicastenango, Guatemala
- June 2020 - Santiago, Panama
- July 2020 - Texas Rio Grande Valley (San Juan, Texas)
- September 2020 - Oaxaca, Mexico
- September 2020 - Chichicastenango, Guatemala
- November 2020 - Chichicastenango, Guatemala
- December 2020 - Texas Rio Grand Valley (Alamo, Texas)
Inspiring Optometry Students To Lead
Graduates are Outstanding Optometrists and Community Leaders
Besides developing clinically proficient optometrists, UIWRSO has a tradition of serving others and giving back for the greater good of the community. We believe leadership is an invaluable quality and have woven this principle into the curriculum through community outreach programs.
We’re developing leaders whose clinical acumen is only surpassed by their compassion for their patients. We want leaders who are strong, understanding and will fight for the soul of the profession.
During the second year of professional study, our students embrace the opportunity to provide vision and disease screenings to area underserved populations at our various clinics. We’ve watched the maturation process of our students as they become more confident, compassionate and independent leaders through these experiences. We’re proud our students and faculty live and breathe this mission.
UIWRSO: where leaders in the classroom and the community are greatly valued.