Founded: 1881 by Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word
Why Rosenberg School of Optometry?
The Rosenberg School of Optometry combines the best possible scientific grounding with unmatched clinical experience — across many types of eye care settings and diverse patient populations. But what really sets our Doctor of Optometry program apart is our faith community and school culture. As the nation’s only optometry school affiliated with a faith-based institution, we appreciate the sacrifices made by students and families to reach this milestone, and we invest mind, body, heart and soul to help you reach graduation and professional success.
Private, four-year, co-educational
#1 largest Catholic university in Texas
14% international student population
60% racial/ethnic minorities
UIW: Five Schools of Health
Our five health professions schools — Pharmacy, Nursing and Health Professions, Optometry, Osteopathic Medicine and Physical Therapy — attract some of the nation’s most talented and diverse faculty and students.
Rosenberg School of Optometry Hallmarks
- Founded 2008
- 25: Average First-Year Student Age
- 365: Number of Rosenberg School of Optometry Alumni
- Accredited by the Accreditation Council on Optometric Education (ACOE) of the American Optometric Association
- 30% of graduates placed into residencies
- 2018 Winner Texas Optometry Association Conference (TOA) EyeBowl
- 2018 3rd Place Finish in Essilor Academic Challenge at American Academy of Optometry
- 2018 First Place in Walmart/Sam’s Club Project Foresight Competition ($15,000 team scholarship).
- Dr. William L. Miller, faculty, named Texas Optometric Association Educator of the Year.
- Jeff C. Rabin, faculty, named Texas Optometric Association Educator of the Year.
- Six faculty members from the Rosenberg School of Optometry received Johnson & Johnson Innovation in Education Grants
- Stephanie Schmiedecke Barbieri, OD, FAAO, awarded Diplomate status in the Low Vision Section of the AAO.
National Board of Examiners in Optometry Pass Rates (Graduation)
Part I (ABS) 82%
Part II (PAM) 92%
Part III (CSE) 97%
“The Rosenberg School staff and faculty are truly amazing. I remember late night and weekend email responses, extra review sessions and faculty always being available for questions, references, advice and pep talks. They make us not only educated and capable doctors, but also compassionate young professionals.”
—Lauren Bartholomew ’18 OD